Cooking time: About 6 hours
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 10 - 12 servings
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 t. cream of tartar
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 T. rice vinegar (or other white vinegar)
- Beat the egg whites 10 minutes. They will expand to completely fill a 2 1/2 quart bowl.
- Then, while mixing, slowly add the sugar, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt.
- Finally, while mixing, slowly add the vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Coat a baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray. Pour the mixture into a pile.
- Put it into a preheated 400 deg. F oven and immediately turn off the heat.
- Leave it in the slowly cooling oven for 5 - 6 hours.
- This baked meringue dessert is good served with sliced strawberries or other fruit.
Based on a recipe received July, 2011 from June Krantz of Boulder, CO
Up a Level Return to Home Page