Raspberry Marzipan Torte
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
Prep time: About 30 minutes
Cooling time: About 1-2 hours
Makes: 16 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening (real or substitute butter)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 7 oz. tube of marzipan paste
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 basket strawberries
- Dough - Beat together 1/4 cup shortening and granulated sugar in a bowl until creamy.
Add one egg and beat until smooth. Stir in flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Marzipan Filling - Beat together 1/4 cup shortening and brown sugar in a bowl until creamy.
Add marzipan paste and vanilla and mix until smooth. Beat in 2 eggs and blend well.
- Spray 9-inch cake pan with anti-stick coating ("Pam"). Firmly press dough evenly into bottom of pan and up sides about 1/2 inch.
- Spread 1/4 cup raspberry jam over dough. Pour marzipan filling on top of the jam.
- Bake in 350 deg. oven 30-40 minutes or until done (when toothpick stuck 3 inches from center comes out clean). Cool to room temperature.
- Slice strawberries. If you don't plan to eat torte soon, retard browning by soaking sliced strawberries in bowl of water containing 1 T. lemon juice or 1 crushed vitamin C pill.
- Spread remaining 1/4 cup raspberry jam on top. Top with sliced strawberries. Chill.
Modification of recipe received from Kamala Krishna, Danville, California, Mar. 27, 2000
Up a Level Return to Home Page