Cooking time: About 45 minutes
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/4 c. diced onions
- 1/2 tin anchovies with capers
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 t. mild olive oil (or butter)
- 2 T. flour
- 2 T. cold water
- 1 T. milk
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Soak anchovies 10 minutes in water to desalt. Drain and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Saute onions 5 minutes in olive oil.
- Mix together the onions, beaten egg, ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, and anchovies. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Put meat balls in frying pan with wine and 1/2 cup water. Add bayleaf, cloves, peppercorn, and capers from anchovies. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Turn meatballs and simmer another 15 minutes. Remove meatballs to a covered serving dish.
- Mix flour and cold water in small dish to remove all lumps. Add 2 T. of broth from pan.
- Add flour mixture and sliced lemon to pan and cook 3 minutes while stirring. Pour this sauce over meatballs in the serving dish.
- Serve with 2 cups egg noodles, cooked as per package instructions.
Up a Level Return to Home Page