Chocolate Creme Brulee
Cooking time: About 1 1/2 hours
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Ingredients for Custard
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1.5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, shaved
- 1/2 T. vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 T. granulated sugar
- 1.5 T. firmly packed brown sugar
- Heat cream slowly in saucepan about 10 minutes. Don't let it boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate until smooth.
- Mix the egg yolks and 1.5 T granulated sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the hot chocolate and cream until smooth. Let cool 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 300 deg. F.
- Place 4 1-cup Pyrex cups in a shallow baking pan.
- Divide cooled mixture among the cups.
- Pour hot water into baking pan until it reaches 1/2 way up the cups.
- Bake 40 minutes in 300 deg. F oven. Cool.
- Mix 1.5 T granulated sugar and brown sugar and spread over tops of cooled brulee.
- Put cups in broiler, 2 inches from the flame and broil until sugar starts to carmelize.
- Let brulee cool a few minutes before serving.
Inspired by a dessert served in Europe 9/4/10 at the Grand Opera House in Belfast.
Based on a recipe from the Internet.
Up a Level Return to Home Page