Carrot Ginger Soup
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
Makes: 4 - 6 servings
- 1 lb. carrots, washed and trimmed
- 2 oz. fresh ginger, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups bouillon
- 3 T. mild olive oil
- 3 T. flour
- 3 cups milk
- Split carrots in half and cut into 4 - 6 inch lengths.
- Put carrots in 2 quart pan, barely cover with water and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove carrots. Save broth. Process carrots, ginger and some broth in blender until smooth.
- Add remainder of broth and bouillon to carrots.
- Heat olive oil in a 1 1/2 -quart pan. Add flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently to make a butterscotch-colored roux.
- Add milk and cook 5 minutes with stirring to thicken.
- Add roux to carrot mixture and blend.
- Serve hot or cold in bowls topped with a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.
Based on a recipe from June Krantz, June 2017.
Up a Level Return to Home Page