Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Cooking time: About 45 minutes
Prep time: About 45 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
- 1 loaf sourdough French bread (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 quart milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 T. vanilla
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 oz. Bourbon whiskey (or other liquor such as rum)
- Tear bread into chunks and soak in milk. Mash with your hands to work milk into bread.
- Add eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and raisins. Stir well.
- Coat bottom of 9x14" baking pan with shortening.
- Add bread mixture and bake 40 minutes until firm in 350 deg. preheated oven.
- Cool pudding, cut into 9 pieces, and place in dessert dishes.
- Before serving, pour on sauce and broil 5 minutes. Don't burn the sauce.
- Cream sugar and egg until well mixed.
- Add olive oil and liquor, and stir until sugar dissolves.
Based on a classic New Orleans style recipe for bread pudding with whiskey sauce by Alzina Pierce.
Collected Feb. 3, 2000 from Bon Ton Cafe, 401 Magazine St., New Orleans.
Up a Level Return to Home Page